Wednesday, December 27, 2006

The Virgin and the Cherry: 12 Dec 2006



Thirty two years ago today, the feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, I first made love with another man, losing, at long last, my virginity. I still remember that afternoon, the overwhelming power and sweetness of it. And the celebratory lunch at Burger King that followed! And the man, who loved me.

We parted ways a few years later, but remained friends. And every year, on this day, we'd make contact. A note, a phonecall, an email. This year, he is gone. He died suddenly in March, way too young. So I mark the day here, in memory of a life-changing moment, and of him. I will always be grateful that when I crossed that threshold, it was with a man I loved, and who loved me. That has made all the difference. I remember the note he sent me years ago, as I was about to embark on yet another upheaval of my life. He quoted Spock, whom he liked, and whom he was nothing like: "I have been, and always will be, your friend." Amen.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...