Tuesday, April 24, 2007

And the truth shall make you...annoying


Excellent article by mystery novelist Andrew Klavan in the Manhattan Institute's City Journal, on how giving up leftism allows you to stop the torturous lying endemic to the progressive worldview and to truthfully describe what you see in front of you. Plus, the price you pay for no longer being nice.

"The thing I like best about being a conservative is that I don’t have to lie. I don’t have to pretend that men and women are the same. I don’t have to declare that failed or oppressive cultures are as good as mine. I don’t have to say that everyone’s special or that the rich cause poverty or that all religions are a path to God. I don’t have to claim that a bad writer like Alice Walker is a good one or that a good writer like Toni Morrison is a great one. I don’t have to pretend that Islam means peace."


My irritation with contrived make-believe was one of the elements that led to my tranniesmogryphikation from a respectable, if eccentric, gay man into a Sith Lord worthy of strangulation by aging Buddhist civil rights lawyers and organizers of noontime concerts in churches (see post of 3.23.07).

Someone who knows me well recently told me he gets anxious that I might...well, basically what he was suggesting was that I might soon be advocating for the return of the Confederacy. This is one of the boundary taboo memes of leftism, that everyone to your right is a bigot and a Nazi. Keeps the flock corralled. As the phrase goes, "Don't even go there".

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...