Friday, September 21, 2007

Intellectuals at play


My alma mater, Columbia University, will be welcoming the Iranian president to the campus for a "challenging" conversation. The University is, however, unable to tolerate the challenging notion of ROTC. ShrinkWrapped has it right.

I wonder if President Bollinger of Columbia would have shown similar interest in having the South African President over for a challenging chat back in the apartheid days? Prolly not. Gee, I wonder why?

(File under "What's Wrong With America").

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wanna see intellectuals at play? This entry at a Queer Theory conference in Dublin in 2006: Michael O’Rourke’s 'Becoming-Wasp: Some Queer Deleuzian Buzzwords' began with Žižek’s recent claim that Deleuze’s 'extension of the concept' is exemplified by fist-fucking and attempted to rethink the history of philosophy not as a kind of assfuck (according to Deleuze) but as a kind of fistfuck. To do this I looked at one of Deleuze and Guattari’s most difficult concepts the Body without Organs alongside Foucault’s later interviews and writings on S/M and degenitalization. Like McRuer I appealed to futurity in the Deridean sense (the queer theory-to come and disability studies to-come) and the urgency of queering or fisting queer theory.

I did not make this up.

David Barry O'Connor said...

Whatever anonymous had in mind didn't reach mine. But the WSJ Bret Stephans had a piece you may care about as a Columbia Alumnus.
http://www.opinionjournal.com/columnists/bstephens/?id=110010648

I took a bit of license with it myself.

BTW: On you're being POZ-Friendly, I thank you too.

OreamnosAmericanus said...

Thanks for the WSJ link, Shawmut. Well done. And for your other comments from time to time. As for thanking me about my pozfriendliness, as I said, I really can't imagine any other attitude for myself.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...