Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Unremarked miracles



I was chatting with a friend tonight, who relayed a moment from the Oscars on Sunday night. I was otherwise occupied on Sunday night trying to put my brain back together and even if I hadn't been so engaged, I wouldn't be watching Oscar and his tribe of devotees. One more demerit on my Gay Scorecard. I fear my gay days are numbered.

Anyway, Jon Stewart apparent made a wisecrack --pretty well all he ever does-- about the last time a woman and a black man were running for president. Something about asteroids. Everyone felt very superior, I am sure.

But it was only forty-some years ago that the push for an end to the old racial regime started in earnest, followed years later by the revolution in women's status. In less than one lifetime, now we have two people whose race or gender would once have limited their ambitions severely, running for President of what's left of the Republic. As people with policies, I abhor them both, but as a sign of race and gender change...

And this is the miracle of America, which many Americans are the last to notice, much less praise. Such vast social change in such a short span of time. As I have said more than once: compared to the Kingdom of God, America is a shame and tragedy. Compared to the rest of the planet, it is a daily continuing miracle.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...