Sunday, August 24, 2008

Schmayce-ism


The title of this post is the second half of the phrase, "Racism, schmayce-ism."

I was raised in NY, so despite my thoroughly Gentile credentials, part of me is culturally Jewish. My first real experience of cultural diversity was a year I spent studying in Dayton, Ohio. I found that my English, aside from being heavily accented (Who Knew?), was peppered with Yiddishisms: schmaltz, kvetch, schlemiel, meschugganah, schiksa, yenta, etc.

Anyway, a writer in Slate just announced that The Only Reason Obama Can Lose Is Racism.

I could care less that Obama is half-white. And if there were a black politician whose policies didn't give me upper GI distress, I'd be fine voting for him. [Although I am honest enough to say that an American president named Barak Hussein gives me the willies, especially post 9/11. Symbolically, it's off.]

But it just may be, it just may be, that his friggin' policies, such as they are, (leftliberal every one) and his lack of achievement behind the faux-preacher* persona might, just might, have something to do with it.

Now I could point out that about 90% of the black vote is his, according to polls. I guess that voting for someone because he looks like you is not racism, but not voting for someone because he does not look like you is.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone of Progress.

If Hillary had gotten the nomination, As Was Her Right!....:-))...you'd only have to change the article's title to "Sexism". It's always some fucking -ism with these people. But if Mitt Romney had the GOP nod, the same author would be sounding the clarion call to man...I mean, person...the ramparts against Religious Fundamentalism. That would not be bigotry, that would be Saving The Republic.

Damn! I'm sorry. I forgot one of the Rules: only whites can be racist, never blacks. Even Rev. Jeremiah Wright, Barry Hussein O's two-decades-long pastor, only said vile things repeatedly because....well, you fill in the blank. It's not his fault. He's black.

Black-schmack.

*And while I'm at it, many people of a certain type --You Don't Know Who You Are--are entranced with his language. Two thoughts. A lot of his public speeches are in the faux black preacher mode, really short on substance and full of rhetorical sideshows. Empty of content not a little. And his ability to express himself without a teleprompter is not very impressive. All that stumbling and all that re-spinning after Gaffe #33 to tell us how he was misinterpreted, probably for nefarious reasons.

George W Bush's brand of language has been pilloried now for years. Not without reason.
But I note this. BHO sells a lot of empty bullshit. But he bullshits in a mode that his audience, especially the CaucoLiberals, loves. It is the way that THEY bullshit. Eg:

"...one's deepest values, one's core concerns, one's broader perspectives on how the world works, and the depth and breadth of one's empathy."

So I will give Barry Hussein this: he plays the faux black preacher role to the delight of blacks and to those whites for whom it is cool to like faux black preachers. (And some of them are damned fine rhetors.) But he also has managed to speak like a Berkeley intellectual. Now that is a feat which, however unattractive, impresses. But that's just the opinion of yet another "typical white person."

PS. While I'm at it. The picture, via eddiebutler.com, shows a common trope in advertising. In addition to men as a gender being portrayed as idiots, whites as a race are the ones who have old service, can't figure things out, etc. in commercials about technology. People of Color are, like, so cool.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...