Thursday, October 30, 2008

Disaster or catastrophe?


One of the people who have helped to make me a conservative is Thomas Sowell, author of the mind-clearing A Conflict of Visions. I came across his Quest for Cosmic Justice in a bookstore years ago and found myself very much taken with his viewpoint. I was astonished when I discovered that this American writer was also black. That was when I discovered black conservatives (Shelby Steele is another), of whom there are as few as there are gay conservatives. (And of course I exclude the late lamented Andrew Sullivan, who was once a gay conservative very important to me and is now a hysterical moralist).

Anyway, Sowell is an economist by training and has a lot to say about the confluence of economics and race. He is a shrewd observer of the human scene; some of his best columns are those called "Random Thoughts" and range from the Yankees to feminism.

Anyhoo, I am cyberwatching him on Peter Robinson's excellent Uncommon Knowledge series. His feeling about voting for McCain rather than Obama, "I prefer disaster to catastrophe." Amen, dude.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...