Tuesday, February 03, 2009

More distractions

But first, a word from our sponsor.

Having been out, and about, for decades now, I am quite at home with my erotic interests. Sexual orientation. Etc. And being so comfortable, I am now able to entertain with some curiosity and little anxiety the truth that men like me are a real oddity. Lacking antennae for the overwhelming interest of my gender in the other one. And, on the other hand, having a set of antennae keenly oriented toward my fellow males.

To me, it is the most natural thing in the world, but I know it is not that way to the world. And that no longer provokes my ire. I'd be surprised if it were different.

I do not know what combination of genes and environment creates fellas like me. No one does. I also suspect that no one knows the exact mechanism for making the classical model, either. Be that as it may, my interest in other males goes back almost as far as I can remember. I briefly gave a half-hearted attempt to engage sexually with females when I was a young adult, but my unresponsiveness was total. Whether or not I was born this way, "born this way" is how it feels to me.

Although I am increasingly alienated from gay culture, I am as at home with my eros as I ever was.

I am, in this respect, a tiny minority. The old saw about ten percent of the population being gay seems not to stand up to empirical evidence. Between one and three sounds better. But in this Age of the Minority, we sure do get a lot of attention and make a lot of noise.

During my recent bad back episode and the consequent experience of watching Desperate Housewives, one scene struck me. A new couple move in to Wisteria Lane, two men. One is the easy-going more butch and rational fellow; the other is a hysterico-testy borderline queen. (We really have made progress there, no?).

Anyway, Teri Hatch comes over to greet the newcomers and when she figures out that they are a couple, proceeds to fall all over herself quite clumsily in attempting to assure them that she's cool. What struck me was the complete reversal of roles: here they were, the outsiders with the "alternative" lifestyle and she is the epitome of normality. But they took the moral upper hand immediately as she tried to placate and appease their superior minority status. They made no attempt whatever to make her comfortable or show appreciation for her attempt. Just stood there with that snobbish victim entitlement we know too well and let her make a fool of herself.*

Kinda reminded me of English-speaking Americans, you know, the standard classical traditional and ordinary kind, who apologize because they can't speak Spanish to their illegal immigrant gardeners and maids. Alice in Wonderland, anyone?

Be that as it may, (didn't I just say that?), on to the distractions.


Dominic West. Brit actor.
If I'd been able to find interest
in the rest of the show, I'd
have watched The Wire for
him.


Ed Harris. No need to explain.
Can you spell "testosterone"?


Jeff Allen. Works in adult gay
film industry...so I'm told.
:)
Pretty well perfect.

_____________________

*I know, it's a comedy and I know that plots are driven by conflict, etc. But as an indication of what happens in minority-driven PC social visions, it's not off. Reminds me of the snot-nosed air of various feminist and ethnic activists I knew in the 80's and 90's who wearily dismissed sincere requests for information or such from "privileged outsiders" with the martyred sentiment that, "I'm not here to educate you about your ignorant prejudices; do that on your own time." Loved that tolerant response. Still do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...