Thursday, March 12, 2009

Answered prayers

When I was in the seminary in Toronto, maybe 35 years ago, I was riding the subway one evening during the rush hour commute, surrounded by all kinds of people likewise wending their way back to their homes. I was feeling how separate I was from the ordinary life of the people I was supposed to be learning how to serve. I remember wanting to find a connection with them and not be one of those priests who can't imagine ordinary life.

Ordinary life.

Well, I got what I wanted.

I am approaching another birthday. More than two decades ago I left the ministry and set out on my own, with pretty well next to nothing. In the intervening years, I have had my struggles and my victories. I have done well and I have failed. I have prospered and I have been broke. I have learned what human love is and I have had my heart broken...more than once. I worry about all the things that ordinary people worry about, having become one of them.

______________

3 comments:

Geoff said...

Sir:
Could you please send me a way to contact you directly? I enjoy your blog a lot. Thank you.
G. Faustman gfaustman at gmail.
SF, CA

Leah said...

Happy Birthday. As you look back, I hope you see more accomplishments than regrets.
Keep looking forward, it isn't over by a long shot!

OreamnosAmericanus said...

Very kind of you, Leah. Thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...