Sunday, June 07, 2009

Basics

"The liberal, and the group, nation or civilization infected by liberal doctrine and values, are morally disarmed before those whom the liberal regards as less well off than himself ...Liberalism is the ideology of Western suicide."

James Burnham, 1964

The suicidalism of the liberal West continues to horrify and amaze me.

Unless I am grossly unfamiliar with my own soul, I would not hesitate to fight to protect who and what I love, nor to kill in its defense. This most natural and necessary of human responses seems alien to so many of the people living in the richest and freest civilization in history, people who seem to lack the elementary instinct that they have a right to live.

Although James Burnham did not provoke my conversion to conservatism, his writing articulates it very well indeed. I sometimes think that he encapsulates best my attitude toward liberalism and the managerial state. A good summary of his views here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...