Thursday, June 04, 2009

Everything changed

June 4th is the date on which my father died, many years ago. My birth-father, that is. He was on his way home from work and his car was involved in a crash. I was less than three months old, his first child.

Two years later, my mother remarried the man whom I knew and think of as my father, the man who raised me and whose name I carry. And they had another six children together.

Had my birth-father's car been just a few seconds either side of the crash moment, he would not have died. I would have had not only a different name, but a different life, a different family. I would have been someone else. And the family that I know, my brothers and sisters, and now their families, would never have existed.

All because of a few seconds.

__________________

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...