Friday, March 05, 2010

Divas

My (accelerating) disenchantment with most things gay --the male-male sex/love part being extremely excepted-- has been noted here often at Ex Cathedra. But I do confess that both in my past and my present, there are a few things common to other gay men that I both admit and value. For instance, a trinity of divas:

Bette Midler. Tina Turner. And Cher.

Unlike a lot of gay men, I don't want to be them...a crucial difference...but I enjoy them immensely. They are female, clearly and to the max, and they are powerful, unshy, gifted and justly rewarded for it. And, sexuality aside, I have always had the impression that all of them liked men. Liked us.

Tina Turner is a class act with a huge intense talent; she manages to be steamy and bold, vulnerable and warm, without ever losing her dignity.

Cher is just fun, a lot of fun and she is clearly having fun doing what she does.


And, my sentimental favorite, The Divine Miss M --Confiteor: I saw that movie at least 7 times in the 80s*--has got brass and cheek, earth and bawdiness, burlesque and absurdity, always with a sense of play, humility, heart, and, well, joy.

Joy. That's what separates these three from some other kinds of so-called divas, who are too often just narcissistic and histrionic bitches with a mean streak. Not for this boy.

Whenever I watch them or hear them, Ms. Turner, Ms. Midler or Ms...Cher, I find myself smiling. That, I say, is talent. In this world, to create a smile out of joy, that is almost divine, which is what "diva" actually means.

____________________

*I actually went to see her live in concert back then. And the next night went to the same venue to see my other favorite performer of the 80's: Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band. Always trying to balance the opposites!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...