Thursday, August 12, 2010

Back soon? Prolly not

Because I liked Matthew Montgomery in Redwoods, I rented Back Soon, an earlier indy film he starred in.
Oy. Rather than waste time writing my own negative review, here's one I ripped off from Netflix.
This movie is a perfect example of the shockingly low threshold that gay-themed movies have to pass in order to get produced. The two lead characters lacked any depth, and were played and directed accordingly; the grieving husband was played throughout as simply morose, even when he was purportedly madly in love with the other lead. The other lead was simply bland, and could've been swapped out for any man off the street without any noticable effect. Their scenes together, while supposedly manifestations of a deep spiritual and irrepressable love, were simply flat and entirely devoid of any chemistry whatsoever; I've seen handshakes that more effectively conveyed love. The supporting cast was similarly problematic. The gay best friend was nothing more than a flat cliche, and the brother-in-law's over-the-top bigotry was patently unbelievable.

2 comments:

PNWReader said...

I actually enjoyed it for its barely there quality. It seemed appropriate for the setup, which was two straight men having, not a gay relationship (at least as I understand them), but a straight romantic relationship constrained by the fact that they were both men. Montgomery's veiling of his Mexi-thug character with the dead wife's personality was believable to me. Though why she would have wasted any time on "Logan" was beyond me. I recommended it to some friends, saying, "it's labeled 'gay-themed', but it's not really."

OreamnosAmericanus said...

You're right about Logan. Sleepwalking was something he not only did at night!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...