Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bright and Breezy

Had I a car (note atavistic use of the subjunctive), this would be a great morning for a drive. Sunny, but with a real breeze, not something we usually get early in the day. Being a coastal city, and on a peninsula, the air here in SF is very often pristine, smells freshly-made. With the light today, well, a drive out to the beach would've been very nice.

Which saint do you pray to for non-green Rodeos? Saint Jude certainly took a nose dive with me this past year...did it ever occur to me that impossible cases are by definition impossible?...so maybe there's a saint for cowboys. Cowboys, rodeos. I'll check. BRB...Well, there's a Belgian saint, Gummarus, but he's for cowherds. And Gummarus sounds too much like gumar.

For you non-southern Italians and non-Soprano fans, gumar is the girlfriend on the side that a married man has. Etymological speculation here: The standard Italian for a pal, buddy or sidekick is compare, clearly a form of compadre, from cum + padre, with + father. The feminine form would be comare. The way that southern Italian transforms its consonants, vowels and endings, you could easily start with comare and wind up with gumar. Your pinhead moment for the morning.

I have 2 (?) degrees of separation from Tony Soprano, several times over. His kids went to the same school as my niece, so one brother and sister in law saw him there all the time, had coffee and gabbed, etc. My brother in law is a huge Sopranos fan and won an auction to spend an evening with the cast at a party, so both he and my sister are another link. Really ups my self-worth this morning! A few weeks ago, Hitler. Today, Tony Soprano!

Hey, with other family members, I have connections to George Soros and Angelina Jolie!

This is what's called in therapy, free association. In the real world, a wandering mind.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...