Saturday, February 19, 2011

Gays and dolls


An article at Spearhead, a men's rights online site, advocates for gay men realizing that women are not their allies, but that they are natural allies of...ta dah!..other men. Even straight men!

Interesting read. Lots and lots of comments. Most of the males there are straight and many of them have been badly burned by the anti-male bias now reigning in civil and criminal realms.

I have four good women friends, of ten, fourteen, almost thirty and over thirty years duration, respectively. (I had a fifth, whom I knew for about seven years, but she passed away, far too soon). I do not recognize in them any of the extremely unlikeable lineaments described in the article and comments, although I know that such women do exist. The women who are my friends, one a partnered lesbian, the others all straight and married/widowed, have at least one thing in common: they like men. Actually like us. Not just me, but other men, too.

Most of the women in my family also like men.

The media are chockablock with phallic female characters whose stock in trade is default resentment, paranoia, overkill, bitchiness and castration. In the workplace I have certainly met many women who have a visceral dislike of males --and most of these females are heterosexual. Although it is not a narrative line I naturally gravitate to, one problematic woman at my last job may in fact have been somewhat attracted to me and was angry that I was not interested in her, thus making the bizarre assertion that I had "trouble with women." The only bosses I can remember finding troublesome for me were men, with whom I often had power struggles; my female bosses were quite enjoyable. They honored my turf and I gave them theirs.

I do have trouble with bitches, though. That may have been the misunderstanding.

2 comments:

OreamnosAmericanus said...

Nope! :)

Leah said...

This is where I'd just like a simple FB, like button.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...