Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Mardi not so gras


Fat Tuesday, the day before Lent.

No partying today. The (relatively) long trip from the eastern end of Long Island to the Pacific Coast. In a few hours, the 2 hour bus ride to the airport dropoff point in Queens, then a cab to JFK, wait a few hours for the seven hour flight back to SF, then the Airtrain, BART and MUNI and I drag my aging carcass home to bed around 10 tonight. 14 hours in all*. It's Mardi, but no gras.

Been a pretty good visit. After her awful fall and surgeries last year, my mom is in good shape again. Saw most of my immediate family, my good old friend T and his family, had some great meals, slept a lot, only went to the gym, though, three times...maybe it's Mardi Gras after all.


*When I migrated back to the US from Canada 20 years ago, I drove a rented truck 2800 miles across the country. Nine days. Imagining the settlers moving through all that on horses, wagons and on foot...impressed the hell out of me. So my 14 hours is a very small papercut. Wake up in eastern NY state, go to be in California that night.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...