Thursday, September 01, 2011

Irked

Since I really like British actress Emma Thompson, --she was perfect as nerdy divination prof Sybill Trelawney in Harry Potter-- I took a peek at Nanny McPhee. Yes, I know. Some good parts. But it takes place during WWII. And when the boys go to London to search for the lost father at the War Office, who is guarding the door but a member of the Royal Guards. Who is black.

Come on. In the 1940's. The first black member of the Guards joined in the 1990's.

Not to put too fine a point on it, historical lying to make the whites appear noble and to ingratiate with the blacks. (Like casting Whoopee  Goldberg as a leprechaun.) It is undignified. Were I black, I'd feel condescended to. Which is a lot of what lies inside white liberalism on race. Self-loathing and condescension.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...