Thursday, June 13, 2013

Not a Republican

Ann Coulter - June 12, 2013 - IF THE GOP IS THIS STUPID, IT DESERVES TO DIE:

It is. And it does.

Unless I know someone well, I keep my political opinions to myself. Diversity of thought is not wanted in Gayland. When it has sometimes become obvious that I am not part of the Borg, my interlocutor will usually ask --half aghast, half fascinated, as if encountering an exotic visitor from a foreign land for the first time-- "So you're a Republican?"

I have found that the conversation comes to a satisfying end when I say, No. The Republicans are pussies. I'm much more to the Right than that. Slighty left of Ghengis Khan."




After that, changing the subject is what always happens. Suits me fine.

On an opposite and, to me, charming note, my Republican sister* discovered, during dinner at her house last January, that I have not always been a conservative, but only switched sides in 2000. She was horrified. But all this time, she said, I though you were so smart. Only in 2000? Oh, my God.

*
I have two left. She's married to a Jewish multimillionaire, a world-class mensch who has made her very happy and has been the best of sons to my parents. And another Republican. My other sister is married to a successful --but nowhere near multimillionaire-- Jewish producer/director, who is likewise a sweetheart and another son. Despite their personal virtues, he and she are both hopeless Obamacrats.

'via Blog this'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Discussing the NSA leaks with my libertarian best friend, we both agreed that the disparities in responses from both the left and the right may be an indicator that the political axis is shifting from conservative/liberal to libertarian/totalitarian. My history of U.S. politics is hazy, but I don't think we've ever had a libertarian/totalitarian dichotomy before. How else do you explain il culono inchiavabile Michael Moore and the somewhat-trustworthy conservative Rand Paul agreeing on something?

I've noticed this on conservative sites pertaining to homosexuality. Some shrug and say, "I find it gross and sinful, but I won't impose," others "Go ahead, have fun!" and others scream "RECRIMINALIZE IT!" I realize that just as libertarians can be right- or left-leaning, conservatives can be libertarian or totalitarian, but things seem to be moving towards a new... paradigm. Christ, I feel like an academic. Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. ;)

Strange times we live in. Thoughts?

-Sean

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...