Tuesday, August 06, 2013

Car lust

My Isuzu Rodeo was sideswiped into oblivion about four years ago...God, I can't believe that...and I have been car-less since. Frankly, it is emasculating. That loss was just one of several that took quite a few chunks out of me in 2010.

Anyway, it's summer here and even though I have objective reasons to be gloomy, I've done quite enough of that over the past couple of years. At the moment, even though I believe that America and the West are sinking, I am in a fairly good mood.

And one of the oddities is that, even though buying a car is out of financial reach, I find myself looking at them with desire.

I do like the look of the Ford Escape. Sturdy SUV --all the taxi companies in town use it--and classier than the Isuzu.



But today I came across a car I would really love to have. I mean, really love to have. Their marketing totally hooked me. Can you have a midlife crisis at 65 and want a car aimed at the youth market? The Nissan Juke.









The Nissan site has the come-on here and this video gives the walk-around. God, if I had the money I think I'd be down at the dealer's tomorrow.

I even like the name.

----





2 comments:

Unknown said...

what does it mean that not having an automobile makes you feel "emasculated". Humans evolved without such things, so to feel masculine should not require anything but your own body and behavior.....what is it in our society and culture that makes one feel less like a man without a car?

OreamnosAmericanus said...

In another society it might be a horse. It's about the ability to exercise agency when you want to, using an object or animal that you own. Pretty common masculine interest. Masculinity is as much a common and social phenomenon as an individual self-assessment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...