Wednesday, August 07, 2013

Potemkin PC

Leaving for a trip to see the family in NY soon and this always gives me jitters, so I am wide awake in the middle of the night. It's not the family especially, but leaving home for any kind of trip usually stirs up my stomach for a few days prior. Separation anxiety.

Anyhoo, I am watching Star Trek Enterprise. I like Scott Bakula, and his connection with his engineer is a kind of bromance I enjoy. But what I am noticing now is the crew.

Of course, as always with Star Trek, the human crew of the ship is multiracial. Part of Star Trek's bogus vision of the utopian future. But we have the same hothouse, or Potemkin, multiculturalism that we see in the Harry Potter series. Aside from their names, their food preferences and the color of their skin, all these "diverse" characters are all actually White.

There is no racial tension, no troublesome differences in behavior or attitude, no sense of group loyalty, hostility or conflict. As with Rowling's world, the pretense of "moving beyond race" means that the other races are moral window dressing and everyone acts White. It is a funny liberal form of White supremacy.

That would be just fine with me, but it's not the reality on actual Earth in the 21st century.

--

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...