Saturday, October 25, 2014

Dis n' dat

In the late 18th century, Brits continued to view Brits-in-the-American-Colonies as Brits, but they were becoming something else. Another people. The Revolution cinched that. In the mid-20th century and well into the 21st, White Americans continued to view Blacks*-in-America as Americans, but they were becoming something else. Another people. What will cinch that?

(*And not only Blacks. I find it hard to believe that Latinos are American, either.)

Had my pal Bill over last night and since he is a fan of classic westerns, we watched Shane (1953), listed as one of the greatest. Sorry. I beg to differ. Waaaaaay too long and needed lots of cutting. The boring moral angst of the reformed gunslinger, in face of the obvious, left me angry more at him than at the so-called bad guys. Who, I must say, were given a voice in the script, which explained the struggle from their point of view. Rare. And the whiny wife who, in typical fashion, kept trying to castrate her husband while she made eyes at the bad boy. Well, the whole thing felt like a dishonest Democrat anti-gun project.

Well, I have more to wring my hands over, but you don't want to hear about it either.

---

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...